Friday, January 27, 2012

Surfing 101

I think I could get used to this...

It’s been a few days since I’ve blogged, but I’m trying not to have this be just a summary of events. I feel that is boring and a medium like Twitter is better suited for it (see right!). Instead I want this blog to be about moments that standout during this trip, and sometimes it takes some time to decide what I want to talk about. Today was our first official day off where we could do as we pleased. The plan was to hike Table Mountain, however a stomach bug has ripped through our group leaving everyone fatigued and dehydrated. Instead, the guys decided to go to the beach and learn how to surf, something I’ve wanted to do for as long as I can remember! Mike, Ryan and I headed to Muzienburg early this morning, barely making our train. We signed up for a lesson, got outfitted in our wetsuits and were given our GIANT foam boards meant for beginners. The walk to the beach was quite comical, my arms aren’t long enough to hold the big board under my arm, and the wind made it feel like I was holding a sail. After a quick demo on the beach on how to get up on the board, and the ever important shark talk, we were in the water ready to ride. Of course I wanted to stand up on my first attempt, but instead it was more of “oh crap water in my face, can’t see/flailing my way off the board.”  I did get up on my second try though, and we spent the morning practicing. Come to find out, surfing is extremely tiring and the hardest part was simply laying on the board and paddling. Balancing laying down is unlike anything I’d ever done, but years of snowboarding and skimboarding made standing up and riding the wave pretty easy.
The beautiful beach at Muizenberg!

After a couple hours, we took a break for lunch completely exhausted, just in time because shortly thereafter the shark siren went off! A Great White was in the area! We hung out for awhile until the coast was clear and went back out for more, this time I had a smaller board. Instantly I saw the difference, it was so much easier to handle and I finally started being able to really hit some waves. By the end of the day I was way out with the kids on the real boards, getting up on waves and riding them until they died out. The next time I go, which could be as soon as tomorrow, I’m going to try out the real, fiberglass boards. By the end of my stay here, I want to be legitimately surfing, being able to go parallel to the waves and everything!



White flag means there's a shark in the waters!!!
My “real life” here starts on Monday with my internship. Our group visited it this past week. My “boss” seems really really cool, and the work I’m going to get to do there sounds amazing. I may have my own classroom to teach! I’ll also be planning and participating in the outdoor component of the organization. I am incredibly excited to start getting involved with what I came to do! Check back in Monday to hear about my first day!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for you to teach us how to surf (maybe on Mirror Lake). Have fun---but watch out for the sharks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete